HELP OUT WITH OUR GRAPHICS!
- Art Theft -
Sometimes people are unsure what is actually considered stolen. There are tons more specific rules for legal purposes, but I just going to cover the terms considered on Neopets.
- A piece of art that is drawn by someone else that you claim as your own.
- Taking part or all of someone else writing is also considered art thief. It as well can get your account frozen. If you DID NOT write it you CANNOT use it. This includes anything from other neopets players to books, online resources, etc.
TNT explains this issue in the Neopian Times Issue 250:
Hi, TNT. Okay, let's say someone once posted a story on the writer's board to let someone rate it. Then, in the next Neopian Times issue, someone ELSE had written the story and it was published! The true owner neomailed that person saying that they copied their story, but the stealer said if you posted a story on the boards ANYONE can take it. My question is, is this reportable as stealing? It's sort of like stealing an art picture, and I really want to know if it's safe to post a story/poem on the boards to let someone rate it. Please answer my question.^^ (and can you take my username out if this question is published? Please and thank you^^) ~anonymous
Not only is it reportable, but the person that has stolen the writing will very likely be frozen. Stealing someone else's work, whether it's art, writing, or even coding, is NOT allowed. We encourage people NOT to post their writings online before submitting it to us for this very reason, but that does not mean it's okay for someone to steal it and use it as their own once it's posted publicly.
- A piece of art that you alter and claim as your own. Altering can be anything as changing color or adding/subtracting parts of it. This does include layouts. If you change the background and graphics you still need to give credit because the layout is NOT yours.
- A piece of art that you redraw and claim as your own. This is if you totally redraw it, but it is still the basic 'idea' of the original drawing.
- A piece of art that is designed by someone else that you don't credit them. Always put there name or link back to them. If you need to move their name you MUST put it somewhere near by the piece. Best bet don't mess with the name at all :)
- Tips/Payment for Neopets related art is against the Neopets T&C. Noted in Neopian Times Issue 250:
Hey TNT. I just had a question about art requests. Is it okay for someone to draw art for other people? Also, is it okay if the artist asks for a tip? The artists would be in no way DEMANDING a tip; they would still be giving the art to the person. Like, if the person who was being drawn for said no, it would be perfectly, 100% FINE. This topic is a little cloudy to me, so would you mind clearing it up? Thanks. ? ~random_item_giver
Yes, anyone may draw art as a gift for another person. :) But, there are a few rules.
That art may not be submitted for ANY spotlight or site competition by the person who received the art, regardless if the artist has given permission. All art submitted MUST be your own work and not someone else's.
An artist may NOT request or accept a payment, tip, or "gift" in exchange for their artwork, and those seeking artwork may not offer payment, tips, or "gifts" for the service either. No profit can be made on any service like this, whether it be art trades, graphic or lookup making, avatar item lending, etc.
Another thing that is considered thief is the use of the Neopets images or idea of pets for profit. In other words you can't sell you drawing of your pet Wocky even if you did draw it all from your imagination. You are taking the Neopets 'idea'. TNT answers a similar question of this issue in the Neopian Times issue 250:
Hi TNT. I saw people selling prints of Neopets (on an art site), and I was wondering if it's allowed. Can you please answer this question, and if you will, please remove my username. ~anonymous
No, this is not allowed, as it violates our copyright. You may draw all the fan art you wish, but the copyright on the characters remains ours not matter who drew them and you may not profit off our characters.
- Rewording something someone has already written, and not giving credit to your source. This can get you kicked out of college and can get you into deep trouble in school... it's no different here.
Please note: This guide was written by stolenart
. Please direct your questions to her.